If you are driving any vehicle for many years then at least once, you must have faced some kind of road rage situation. Road rage can be milder form, but often it can become a violent situation too. As per the statistics, road rage is also a significant reason for vehicular accidents.
Whatever may be the reason for road rage, one must always refrain from getting involved or reacting in this type of situation. By staying calm particularly during road rage will be the best way that you can deal with such a situation. If you look at video footage of most accidents due to road rage then you will know that majority of them could be avoided.
Safer Drivers Course provided by TRENT is specially designed for those who are new drivers who want to obtain their driver’s license. This course will enable you to become a safe driver and reduce risks or situations by making the right decisions while on the road so that you do not become a road rage victim.
Few examples of road rages
The following are a few situations that can be described as a road rage condition.
- Any driver may start driving very aggressively and try to pass any other driver or cut them off on the road or something similar irresponsible action.
- By driving aggressively to intimidate or to seek revenge on some other driver for any of their actions.
- Use abusive language and pass a comment about your driving skill.
- In the worst-case situation, another driver may hit on your bumper aggressively.
- Hand gesture aggressively.
- Blowing horn unnecessarily.
How not to get involved in road rage
- Offer a friendly wave if someone displays anger
- Never try to steal someone’s parking spot
- Always offer proper indication so that other drivers know your intention
- Avoid blowing your horn unnecessarily which is never appreciated
- Always refrain from obscene gestures or verbal abuse
- When other drivers are trying to merge then let in
- Don’t try to block intersections
- Don’t try to tailgate fellow drivers
- Always give way if needed.
You must always stay cool under any provocative situation and by doing that you will have a much better chance to keep your car and also other motorists too in good stead, and ultimately you can arrive safely to your desired destination.
Few ways to stay calm
While you are driving your car then you can stay calm in several ways. Some of them are:
- By listening to your favourite music that has a quite soothing effect. You can very easily implement this as most of the cars these days are well equipped with few audio players.
- You can also avoid using your mobile phones as mobile phone use can not only cause road accidents but also it can anger other drivers.
- Also, drivers who are engaged in talking on their mobile phones are generally less likely to remain calm during any road rage situation as compared to those who remain fully concentrated on their driving.
- You can also engage in deep breathing exercises which are equally efficient during such a situation. This kind of exercise can help in bringing down your heart rate, as a result, calm you down even under a provocative situation.